Pueblo (Anasazi) Workshop October 2016Pueblo style flutes and the ancient ruins of Chaco Canyon
Learn to Play the Anasazi Flute
Explore the mystery and power of the Great Houses of Chaco Canyon while learning to play the ancient flute of the southwest with virtuoso Anasazi style flute player, Scott August.
Whether you are a beginner or a more advanced player, this workshop will help you reach your Anasazi (Pueblo) flute playing goals. Get an in depth look at the techniques used to play this haunting, historic flute from master player, Scott August.
This four day class will be held in Santa Fe, NM in October 2016 and features a day trip to Chaco Canyon, the largest collection of Ancestral Puebloan (Anasazi) ruins in the Southwest.
This workshop will cover:
- Controlling your embouchure
- Techniques to improve your sound and tone
- An exploration of the Anasazi (Pueblo) flute scales
- Controlling Your Breath
- Special effects and idiomatic playing techniques
- Simple steps to take your playing to the next level and getting out of ruts
- Other End-Blown flutes: Mojave, Xiao...
This workshop features a trip to Chaco Canyon and will include:
- Travel in comfortable, air-conditioned vans
- A private tour of Pueblo Bonito, the largest Chaco “great house” ruin
- A relaxing, tasty picnic lunch
- Time to explore other ruins
The Ancestral Spirits workshop dates are October 5 - 8, 2016, in Santa Fe, NM. Reserve your place now, as space is very limited. The number of participants will be limited to only 15 participants, and spaces will be filled on a first come first served basis.
Dates:October 5-8, 2016Enroll below with a $25 deposit
Price:$450 Through Sept 12, 2016: Early Registration Price Deadline Extended
($500 After Sept 12, 2016)
2016 Anasazi (Pueblo) Flute WorkshopEnroll Here
or Pay in Full:$450.00:
Payment Due By Sept 12, 2016
Workshop price $500 after Sept 12, 2016Pay Balance Here
Extra Chaco Trips:$130.00 Per Extra Person
Due with your depositPay Extra Chaco Trips Here
Ancestral Spirits 2016 Schedule
Scott August improvises on an Anasazi (Pueblo) stye flute with a Pueblo Bonito, Chaco Canyon design
Chaco Canyon Photo Gallery
About Scott August
August's music has received numerous awards, including the prestigious Native American Music Award (NAMMY), an Indian Summer Music Award and Zone Music Reporter (ZMR) Award In 2009, his DVD, Ancient Light, was aired on the PBS network. In addition to his recordings August is the author of three books and a informative blog.
John Diliberto of Echoes radio says "August has always been a cut or two above most native flute players... He layers guitars, keyboards and all kinds of percussion into his compositions, moving from world fusion to airy ambiences." The Los Angeles Times has called his music "shimmering and luminous."
A Look at Santa Fe, New Mexico
Click Image to Enlarge
"Touch the country [of New Mexico] and you will never be the same again." —D.H. Lawrence, c. 1917
Have a question about the Ancestral Spirits workshop or visiting Santa Fe?
Let us know at email@example.com
The Sage Inn Santa Fe: The Official Hotel for Ancestral Spirits
Workshop #1 Photos
Ancestral Spirits 2015 Workshop #1
Scott August demonstrates how to mic a Pueblo style flute and use "canyon" echo
Therese plays with a backing track
Tom plays with a backing track
Marcia plays with a backing track
Ancestral Spirits 2015 workshop #1 at Pueblo Bonito
Ancestral Spirits 2015 workshop #1 Graduation Dinner
Workshop #2 Photos
Ancestral Spirits 2015 workshop #2 in Chaco Canyon
Jeanne and John play a NAF + Anasazi duet
Georgia and John play a NAF + Anasazi duet
Bill and Scott play a NAF + Anasazi duet
Bill plays his Painted flute at Chetro Ketl
Ancestral Spirits 2015 workshop #2 Graduation Dinner
Pueblo Bonito, the largest Great House in Chaco Canyon and where 8 flutes were found.
Looking to buy a Pueblo/Anasazi style flute?
Scott August shows you what he looks for and avoids
when buying an End-blown Pueblo style flute
Read what students are saying about workshops with Scott August
“Pure and simple, at the heart of the Santa Fe Flute School is Scott August. Scott’s passion for music and the Native American Flute is contagious and motivating! Scott promotes a positive and supportive non-threatening environment. Scott’s passion for music and his individualized one-on-one approach with students is at the heart of this experience.”
-Tom K., Colorado
Ancestral Spirits 2015 Schedule
* Cancel before June 22, 2016 you will receive a full refund of your payment.
* Cancel between June 23, 2016 and July 20, 2016 you will receive a refund of your payment minus your $25 deposit.
* Cancel between July 21, 2016 and August 24, 2016 you will receive a refund of your payment minus a $50 cancellation fee.
* Cancel after August 24, 2016 you will receive a refund of your payment minus a $100 cancellation fee.
* Balance must be paid on or before August 24 for $450 workshop fee. Balances paid after August 24, 2016 will be based on $500 workshop fee.
* The school requests participants sign a liability waver for school participation.
* Santa Fe is located at an elevation of 7,000'. If you have any problems with altitude please talk to your health care professional before booking the workshop.